There are three main reasons why one should use ad-blocking software.
1. Speed: it reduces the World-Wide-Wait in your Web Browser, which takes longer to load banner ads.
2. Quiet: Animated banner ads that flash and move while you’re trying to read are distracting. They’re designed that way. You can stop them from wasting your time.
3. Privacy: Cookies used by ad networks to track your movements on the Web may be associated with your real identity and used to invade your privacy. If you block the ads, they never get to place this tracking device on your computer.
To enable the Pop-Up Blocker in Windows XP Service Pack 2.
1. Click Start, point to All Programs, and then click Internet Explorer.
2. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
3. Click the Privacy tab, and then select the Block pop-ups check box to turn on the Pop-up Blocker, or clear the Block pop-ups check box to turn off the Pop-up Blocker.
4. Click Apply, and then click OK.